My photo
Welcome to The Secular Gospel According to Jess! In this blog you’ll find everything from cartoons that make me laugh, to quotes that inspire me, to stories of my own personal experience when it comes to dealing with religion and pretty much everything in between. The title of my blog is intended to be ironic, as one doesn’t often hear the word, “gospel”, associated with secularism, but my intent is to preach, for lack of a better word, what I think gospel should really be about: love, rationalism, fairness, equality, human rights, science and truth. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The man's a genius.


This reminds me of people who are agnostic because they "don't want to get involved" in the fight between atheists and religious people. Too many people are content to "fence sit" because they just don't care to learn enough about either side to make a decision.

I have also seen this relevant too many times when it comes to falling outs between friends. Mutual friends who are not directly involved prefer to stay uninvolved and retain the friendship of both people involved in said altercation, regardless of whether one of them is clearly the victim and the other, the oppressor. But honestly, the truth is that nobody should strive to be "Switzerland." The country takes no side in matters of war and politics and therefore has no enemies, but it doesn't have many friends either. Standing up for what's right no matter who or what you might lose in the process is an ideal we should all strive for. What you gain in the end will be of much more value than what you lose.

2 comments:

  1. Buddy, I've takin' a side. To me the agnostic viewpoint is that they (personally) do not have enuff 'evidence' to sway them either way. the thingy about 'evidence' is when do you decide when you have enuff. Fo sho I can learn more, a lot more, but I have decided that God (whatever that is) is very improbable; possible, I guess, but veeeeerrrryyyyyy improbable. Awesome buddy.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, we can always learn more, but I think even with what we DO know, the logical conclusion is, as you said: god is veeerrryyyyy improbable. For me, I take one look at human suffering...suffering in good, honest, people, and I disregard the entire concept of god as organized religion sees fit to describe "him". I suppose that I, too, am agnostic about the possibility of a "higher power" of sorts, but that is only because we CANNOT know, and I'm not gonna run around like some weird atheist fundamentalist claiming there is no god, because in my eyes, that makes me just as bad as the people I criticize.

    ReplyDelete