My photo
Welcome to The Secular Gospel According to Jess! In this blog you’ll find everything from cartoons that make me laugh, to quotes that inspire me, to stories of my own personal experience when it comes to dealing with religion and pretty much everything in between. The title of my blog is intended to be ironic, as one doesn’t often hear the word, “gospel”, associated with secularism, but my intent is to preach, for lack of a better word, what I think gospel should really be about: love, rationalism, fairness, equality, human rights, science and truth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A rant

I realized that the fact that we add the letters B.C. and A.D. before and after the year in order to separate one period of time from another is vexing to me, given that the letters stand for "before Christ" and "Anno Domini" (the year of our Lord).

I dislike this concept for two major reasons. First, it assumes that Christianity and the birth year of Jesus are relevant to everyone. Second, it assumes that Jesus is Lord.

In this country, it is unconstitutional to uphold the beliefs and values of one religion as superior to another, but doesn't the use of the year of Jesus' birth as the manner in which we split up a given period of time suggest that Christianity is the most important of all world religions?

I just don't agree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment